Mikey Mikey!

Saturday, June 04, 2005

O captain, my captain

Carpe diem.

Seize the day! There is a long list of cliche quotes that fall under this category. You know; phrases such as: "Live every day like it's your last."

You had something to say and you kept quiet? You were going to make the first move with that girl and did not? You were going to go skiing for the first time and decided to pass? Live life with intensity. That is what I have been told and possibly it is something I have to learn to do more.

Honestly, can anyone tell me about a time they took a risk and regretted it? Even when the result was a failure to an observer, what you gain cannot be shared or even explained. For a failure is nothing more that an experience. Any experience has value because it is something we can use in the future. There is a scene in "The Lion King" where the monkey (what his name?) hits Simba over the head with his cane. Simba turns asking: "What was that for?" "To teach you something," as he swings the cane at him again. This time Simba ducks avoiding the hit. "There you have learnt something already!"

I am not suggesting you go running naked down the street... but don't be passive... If you have thought about something twice it's too much. Do it!

[Quoting Henry David Thoreau]
Neil: I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Dead Poet's Society

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home