Mikey Mikey!

Friday, April 29, 2005

"Good" Friday

It is Good Friday for us. I am not particularly religious but I do enjoy Easter. Easter is the biggest holiday for Greeks and as with all holidays the best part is the get-togethers, seeing people, eating together.

After four years of university in the States I will enjoy the traditional souvla and home-made cooking I had missed. However, the four easters I had in the US were different and memorable in their own regard. The one that stands out is easter of my junior year.

For some reason I assume that everyone likes Easter as much as I do and I took it upon myself to aks every Orthodox person I knew if they wanted to go to church in Columbus - half an hour from campus. I found drivers, I got people together, I arranged to get soup from a greek restaurant for afterwards. We had four or five cars drive us to church. Us being a group of three Cypriots, one Greek, five Bulgarians, one Romanian, one Russian and two Ethiopians; including two Americans who were kind enough to offer to drive us.

Getting to church and back was mostly uneventful, apart from the fact that one of the cars with the one American girl and two Ethiopan girls got stuck in traffic from the "Black Heritage weekend" (or something like that) concert and missed the midnight mass (the important part). In any case, we returned to campus and layed out a big table for everyone. We wished each other "Christos Anesti" (Χριστός Ανέστη) and then enjoyed some greek music from my illegal mp3 downloads :P I think the Americans that walked by at 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning must've thought we were mad - having dinner at that time and being all happy and merry.

That was easter 2003... I enjoyed it because I managed to organize a dinner that united very different people (not only ethnically).

Easter 2005. I am home and it's good that I don't have to worry about what I'm doing on easter, but I am glad I experienced easter 2003.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home